EXECUTIVE OFFICER, CO-FOUNDING PRINCIPAL
Bijan Amini is an executive officer and co-founding principal of Storch Amini. His practice is national in scope and he specializes in litigating complex commercial disputes, both in the civil and bankruptcy contexts, and excels at negotiating transactions. Bijan has tried cases in both federal and state courts nationwide, as well as various arbitral tribunals nationally and internationally, including the American Arbitration Association, JAMS, and the ICC.
Bijan represents a number of bankruptcy trustees in various matters, including proceedings against professionals formerly employed by Debtors, the Debtors’ former officers and directors, and in preference actions in selected matters. In both the civil and bankruptcy context, he regularly handles malpractice actions both for and against attorneys, accountants and other professionals, and has extensive experience in litigating coverage disputes with insurance carriers.
Additionally, Bijan counsels and litigates on behalf of clients in employment disputes with major brokerage and other financial institutions, generally at the managing director level. He also negotiates contracts on behalf of start-up companies with angel investors, certain hotel and restaurant-related management contracts, and contracts for professionals in the media and film industry.
Bijan has prosecuted and defended claims under federal antitrust, securities, bankruptcy and RICO statutes. He also has extensive experience in commercial, employment and intellectual property litigation. Bijan regularly acts as a court-appointed referee and mediator in complex commercial cases pending in the New York Courts.
Bijan has received Martindale Hubble’s highest AV rating from his peers, and was named a top rated business litigation attorney in New York by Super Lawyers in 2009.
He received his J.D. and M.A from the University of Michigan, and is licensed to practice law in New York and Washington D.C.
- Recovered over $30 million on behalf of a client whose former business partner commenced litigation to unsuccessfully avoid deferred payments due as a result of buying him out of the business.
- Obtained a post-trial judgment in excess of $12 million for a hedge fund against an asset management company in a dispute over the allocation of returns from a successful investment, and defended the judgment before the Delaware Supreme Court.
- Obtained a pre-judgment remedy following eight days of hearings, and subsequently a $5.5 million post-trial judgment in Connecticut Superior Court against a hedge fund, its general partner and the managing members of the general partner, and related entities, in a dispute between a “fund of funds” and the hedge fund in which it was invested.
- After prevailing at trial on fraud claims among others, obtained a highly favorable settlement from a major movie studio for failing to pay royalties on a classic motion picture production.
- Prevailed at trial on behalf of former shareholders of a biopharmaceutical company in a dispute over the distribution of $12 million of the remaining merger consideration held in escrow.
- Pursued the claims of the former Chief Executive Officer in the LightSquared bankruptcy through the plan approval hearings before the Bankruptcy Court and in multiple appeals to the District Court, 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals, and a cert petition to the United States Supreme Court.
- Represented a well-known but modestly sized franchise company against its billion-dollar licensee in a breach of contract action to enjoin termination of the license and for tens of millions of dollars in damages that have resulted from the licensee’s attempts to convert the franchisor’s assets to its own.
- Obtained favorable settlement for client in connection with professional negligence, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty claims against her former business managers and accounting firm.
- Prevailed at trial on behalf of the bankruptcy trustee of a defunct mortgage company on trustee’s fraudulent transfer claims against a Las Vegas casino, obtaining a successful jury verdict, as well as successful pre-trial and post-trial decisions.
- Represented a global finance firm in connection with a multi-million dollar contractual dispute over a purchase option in an equipment lease.
- Represented debtors-in-possession and trustees in avoidance actions and other litigation matters, including in In re Ames Department Stores, In re National Consumer Mortgage, LLC and In re Value City Holdings, Inc.
- Represented trustees, debtors-in-possession, creditor’s committees, creditors, investors, secured lenders and insiders in a broad range of matters arising in both the main bankruptcy case and adversary proceedings, including In re Kleinert’s, Inc., In re County Seat, In re e.spire Communications, Inc. and In re Flutie New York Corp. Bijan successfully tried a number of these matters, obtaining judgment on behalf of the trustees.
- After trial, procured settlement for our client, an investment banking firm, effectively obtaining all relief sought in breach of contract action against a public company that provides services and products to the life sciences research community.
- Obtained a significant award in an arbitration before JAMS for the pivotal role the respondent played in knowingly depriving our client of its entitlement to proceeds on the sale of an antique pistol with French royal provenance
- Represents former managing member of a privately held real estate investment against claims of, among other issues, looting, defeating motion for a prejudgment attachment at the outset of the litigation.
- Defended a prominent contemporary art dealer on fraud claims by the Internal Revenue Service.
- Represented an Oscar-winning producer and prominent screenwriter in a copyright infringement action against a major studio.
- Obtained dismissal of a complaint against corporate directors asserting claims of excessive bonuses and compensation.
- Acted as counsel for New York City and Erie County in their suits against the tobacco companies.
- Prosecuted a major antitrust suit on behalf of an association of independent financial counselors against the National Foundation for Consumer Credit.
- Represented a reseller in a tariff discrimination suit against a major telecommunications carrier.