Jaime B. Leggett
Jaime B. Leggett is a commercial litigator specializing in bankruptcy and complex commercial litigation, in civil and bankruptcy courts. He represents private equity funds, bankruptcy trustees, debtors and claimants, private individuals, retail brands, and shareholders in a variety of industries including financial services and food manufacturing.
Jamie has represented clients during all stages of litigation, and has trial experience in federal and state courts nationwide. He was selected to the 2016 Super Lawyers’ New York Metro Rising Stars list, an honor reserved for those lawyers who exhibit excellence in practice.
In September 2013, Jaime joined Storch Amini as an associate. After receiving his J.D. from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law in 2010, he clerked for the Honorable Allan L. Gropper, United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York and the Honorable Arthur S. Weissbrodt, United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of California, where he worked on sophisticated business bankruptcy matters.
During law school, Jaime interned for the Honorable Arthur B. Briskman and Karen S. Jennemann, both of the United States Bankruptcy Court, Middle District of Florida. He also served as a legal intern at the Bet Tzedek Legal Services Clinic and an Articles Editor for the Cardozo Journal of Law & Gender.
Jaime received his LL.M. in Bankruptcy from St. John’s University School of Law in 2015, and is licensed to practice law in New York.
Jaime’s experience includes:
- Representing a hedge fund against assertions by another fund for a multi-million dollar carried interest claim, obtained monetary judgment in client’s favor after trial, and protected client’s rights against fund in later bankruptcy proceeding.
- Representing a food trademark licensor in contract action against defaulting licensee and obtained decision after trial awarding monetary damages against licensee and denying licensee’s multi-million dollar counterclaims.
- Representing a Chapter 7 trustee in pursuing claims against Debtor’s former professionals and obtained substantial settlement.
- Established damages in contract action upon default of counterparty by way of evidentiary hearing and obtained judgment in vendor client’s favor.
- Representing indigent rent-controlled tenant with AIDS in eviction proceeding and obtained decision lowering tenant’s use and occupancy payments pending trial.