COMPLEX COMMERCIAL LITIGATION
Storch Amini has significant complex commercial litigation experience representing clients nationally in state and federal courts. We understand the ever-changing business landscape and are the trusted advisors that business owners need. Our goal is to obtain the best results for you in litigation, while managing risk and capitalizing on strategic opportunities.
We have a track record of success representing clients in complex litigation involving closely held corporations, limited liability companies and partnerships, as well as their officers, directors, shareholders, managers, members, and partners.
Storch Amini works with a diverse clientele, from technology start-ups to private equity firms with billions of dollars of assets under management. We approach business disputes by evaluating the facts of the situation, immersing ourselves in your business, and bringing our collective experience and perspectives to the matter. Then we determine the most effective way to obtain resolution, or if appropriate, seek immediate court intervention to protect your interests.
We have prosecuted and defended a wide variety of claims involving contract disputes, management and corporate control issues, breach of fiduciary duty, shareholder appraisal rights, business valuation issues, employment disputes, covenants not to compete, and business torts.
Our attorneys have substantial experience obtaining or defending against injunctive relief and declaratory judgments. In addition to our commercial litigation practice, we represent private businesses and individuals in domestic and internal arbitrations, as well as other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Examples of our experience include:
- Recovered over $30 million on behalf of a client whose former business partner commenced litigation to unsuccessfully avoid deferred payments due as a result of buying him out of the business.
- Representation of attorney who, as associate counsel, represented victims of terrorist attacks awarded over $309 million in lawsuits against Iran. Our client is seeking his share of attorneys’ fees due from his co-counsel, lead counsel for the victims.
- Representation of the owner of one of the world’s most recognized cookie brands in a dispute over an exclusive licensee’s wrongful termination of license agreement in an action seeking declaratory and injunctive relief, as well as damages.
- Obtained a seven figure prejudgment order of attachment in Connecticut Superior Court on behalf of an investor which brought action against former hedge fund for breach of settlement agreement, conversion, breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing and civil conspiracy.
- Representation of investment firm in a contract dispute with an asset manager, which claimed it was entitled to approximately $6 million. We prevailed after a multi-day bench trial, obtaining a decision that the asset manager was owed nothing and instead it owed our clients nearly $1 million.
- Representation of well-known player in the international art world in ongoing litigation over ownership of a valuable painting by the late Willem de Kooning.
- Represented food trademark licensor in litigation against defaulting licensee. After trial, we obtained dismissal of licensee’s multi-million dollar counterclaims and award of monetary damages in client’s favor.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims, including contract, fraud and RICO claims, against our clients, lending entities and principals, by a borrower law firm and lawyer in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas. The court also refused to enjoin collection of a multi-million dollar judgment against the borrower and its principal.
- Obtained entry of a stipulated judgment for $12 million on the last day of trial in favor of the former shareholders of a biopharmaceutical company against a hedge fund trying to avoid release of escrow funds due to our clients under a merger agreement.
- After a three-week jury trial, we obtained eight figure verdict for our client, a Hong Kong company that sourced goods in the Far East, in a complex, fraudulent, pre-billing scheme involving a factor, a wholesaler and a prominent New York accounting firm.
- Obtained favorable settlement for the single largest individual shareholder of a series of multi-national, closely held corporations in the business of repairing and maintaining large ship diesel engines in an action regarding underpayment of distributions and wrongful removal.
- Obtained preliminary injunction, which led to a favorable settlement, on behalf of an information technology services firm against its former employee in an action involving breaches of restrictive covenants and unfair competition.